52%
Add Mac/Linux support
9%
Open source the code
26%

Total votes : 23

Which Way Does BM Want to Go?

Postby Punisher » Sun May 12, 2013 10:14 pm

Hey guys! Thank you for the patience from those of you asking for accounts. I've been a busy person.

I'm starting to ramp down some extra things I've been doing, and have some time to help out BM, like I've been telling people I wanted to know. What I need to know is, what do people want? Is BM2/Carune the future? Is modifying the original game the way to go? Does everybody use Windows, or do people care about Mac and/or Linux too? I'd create a poll but I'm not cool enough apparently :P.

Anyway, please share your thoughts. I don't want to take BM from anybody, so I'll be helping with however the community wants to move forward. I can help Carune, or clean up and open source the code. I'll help somebody run a server, but I won't do it myself due to time constraints (though Google Fiber is coming here, so I might be able to set up a nice fat server for somebody to help manage). I want the community to be able to work on the game and make their own stuff to play.

Thoughts?
Punisher
Former Blade Mistress ADMIN

Re: Which Way Does BM Want to Go?

Postby Alaster » Mon May 13, 2013 12:09 am

I think the obvious initial step is to just make the game open source.
Alaster
Mature

Postby Thoth » Mon May 13, 2013 9:09 am

I myself fear that opening up the source would kill the community, because people would be able to set up their own server a lot easier then.
I think best is to keep a few people helping you out on the code, and maybe some artists to add new models or mobs to the game :)
Thoth
Administrator

Postby Dekker3D » Mon May 13, 2013 10:10 am

I think Alaster and Thoth pretty much represent most of the community: a part wants to keep it the way it is, and not ruin the nostalgia and good memories, while another part would prefer to improve it in various ways. There isn't really a way to keep both sides happy. Carune is an interesting project, but it's currently not going very far due to me being pretty much burned out on coding and trying to fix one very pervasive (and incredibly ugly) terrain rendering problem. It's also gone quite far from being an attempt at BM2, and is currently more of a spiritual successor as far as it's plans go. BM has also got some pretty old code, written by 3 different people with 3 different skillsets and views, and not a lot of communication between them due to each one leaving for the next to take over.

Personally, I think the best move would be this: We gather up the Carune team (still incredibly motivated despite me just sitting on my ass and not getting much coding done), anyone motivated to work on "making BM better with Punisher" and pretty much whoever wants to help and is able to. We also nab the resources, content and ideas of any failed or still-active projects that have goodwill towards this (I know there's many; Carune got plenty of offers like that), and we use the bits that make sense and fit the BM spirit to create something beautiful.

I, for one, am offering any code I've written (non-exclusively unless all of the Carune team agrees, though), models I've made and experience I've gained working on Carune and on BM fanstuff. I might be able to get some more coding done once I'm no longer the only programmer in a project, but I can at least offer my skills at brainstorming up some fancy concepts, and at pretty much every graphical or gameplay design aspect of game-building. That said, MVM is much better than me at a specific few of those, and he notified me of this thread in an email with all-caps. I'm not gonna speak for him, but I'm pretty sure he'll want to pitch in too.
Dekker3D
Elder

Postby Thoth » Mon May 13, 2013 11:59 am

As much as I love how Carune looks so far, I am sure that we/you'd have to make some radical changes to the game to make it look like an attempt to create BM2 again.
As motivated as you were at the start of the project, you've gone too far, and tried to do too much with it. Keep it simple, don't make Wow2, GW3, or whatever. Make BM2 with updates, both graphically, as well as features, but stick to the original concept. That's my advice.

Talking from experience, you were drowning in your own (great) idea's, and simply didn't know what to do anymore because it became too much to do.
I spoke with MVM the other day, and he more or less agreed with me that we'd have to stick more to the original concept.

I still think that BM(1) deserves the updates it needs, as there are still dedicated players around who wouldn't want to play any other game.

As for the OS, I do believe that all players on BM play using Windows. If not, they are still able to use cross programs like Wine, or Crossover(?)
Thoth
Administrator

Postby Punisher » Tue May 14, 2013 12:36 am

Cool, this is all good feedback. I've posted in a couple of BM forums and everybody is currently saying a lot of the same, that we should keep the nostalgia factor and improve what is there, at least for now. Please keep feedback coming if you have more!
Punisher
Former Blade Mistress ADMIN

Postby Alaster » Tue May 14, 2013 12:48 am

The whole idea behind making it open source is because I want to incorporate the formulas into the "wiki app" that I'm building...Been trying to get the exact formulas for a few years with no success. No one has ever made the "perfect" accessory because there's too many unknowns. If the game decides to change, I would love to be "in the know" to keep what I feel is a useful tool always updated...maybe even making it the official tool.

As far as "improving" the current game, I can offer limited coding help and QA know-how. I am familiar with C# and VB.NET and am always looking to further my knowledge. My current career path is software QA, though. I am very adept at build and release management, reporting defects, verifying fixes, automated testing, manual testing, etc. I can also configure and manage ASP, CSS, HTML, PHP, etc portions of the website.

Even though I do not play the game much (mostly not at all) nowadays, I would still love to be a part of its future. I've always been passionate about the game.
Alaster
Mature

Postby MVM » Tue May 14, 2013 4:18 am

Hi All!

This is good news indeed - as i see it - and a "tread" like this one i have been waiting for a very long time now. Nice to see you again on the forum, Punisher :)

In fact we have discussed many times in the team what can benefit the Carune project the most if we have a more basic approach for the developing part rather than attempt to make the game too complicated from start even if the ideas have been all good and interesting - in this case i agree with Thoth but at the same time aware of the difficulties - what ever we decide - just makeing everybody happy is not the easiest way to go. I have always been "open minded" for new ideas but sometimes you have to "kill your darling" and see the reality and what is possible to create in a reasonably timescale - so as for Carune - let new ideas be as later upgrades.

As for Bm (1) i think it deserve an update even if the game engine is a bit of "outdated and limited" but with new upgraded models (or "face lift) over all and with the ability to use the source code would certainly make that possible.
MVM
Teamleader | Carune Online

Postby Bobwl » Thu May 16, 2013 9:13 am

I'm very curious where this is going. As for the future I think updating the original game is the way to go but not change to drastically at once. Maybe one day we will get to a bm2/Carune
Bobwl
Young Adult

Postby Doompuppet » Fri May 17, 2013 1:29 am

I'd hate to see Carune get thrown away in exchange for BM update.
Doompuppet
Developer | Carune Online

Next

Return to Development